Monday, April 3, 2017

Thrifting + A ThredUp Review


Alright, gals.  If you haven't tried ThredUp before, you really, really should.  (And no, I'm not getting paid to say this!)

ThredUp is a thrifty girls dream.  Instead of finding a babysitter, driving to your favorite thrift and consignment shops, and spending hours perusing racks and racks of clothing, you can jump on the handy Interweb and go to www.thredup.com.  #winning


ThredUp is a great way to buy and sell clothes online.  What I love most is that they have a big vision - to transform the way people think about buying secondhand, to help make more expensive brands accessible (most pieces are 75-90% off), and to help people shop consciously.  Yay, for more ethical fashion!


A few extra things I love...

The packaging + presentation is amazing.
You know me - I am all about presentation, and ThredUp does not disappoint.  It's kind of fun to buy thrifted, cheap things and receive them in fancy packaging.  Everything is folded neatly, wrapped in tissue paper, with a cute "enjoy" sticker.  Each tag says, "Renewed with Love in San Francisco."  Invoices are folded into a special holder at the very top of the box.  They even include a little booklet that shares more of their vision through some inspiring quotes and pictures.  This is the definition of "happy mail," people.


Free returns!
Just recently, ThredUp added a free return feature to their business.  If you don't like what you bought, you can return it using a prepaid shipping label.  From there, you can return it for credit at NO charge or return it and pay the shipping/restock fee, which I think was around $7 or $8.


New with tags and like-new clothing
Everything I've ever ordered from ThredUp has been in mint condition.  Several pieces still had tags on them.  And that weird smell that some thrift stores have?  Like mildew and basements?  Yeah, these clothes don't have that at all, praise the Lord.


Time saver
When I go old-school thrifting, I always feel like I need to allow hours and hours to really dig through everything.  The treasures are usually never at the front of the rack or in your regular size, and it takes time to try on the different sizes and look for the brands you really like.  Instead, with ThredUp, you can let a search engine do the heavy lifting.  Boom, baby.


A few things I'm unsure of...

Kids Clothing?
I have not found great deals for kids' clothes.  Maybe it's just me, but I'm way less willing to spend money on kids' clothes when I know they will be outgrown or ruined in a month.  I have been able to find cheaper clothing at our local garage sales, consignment shops and Old Navy clearance.



Selling online?
I have not tried SELLING with ThredUp and, again, use my local outlets and stores for that.  I think it'd be worth a try though!


A few tips...

Stay in your lane - shop the brands you already love.
There's no way I can afford to shop at Madewell and Gap regularly, but I know my sizes in those brands, and love the styles they offer.  When I buy second hand in these brands, I am usually really happy with my purchases!  However, I've tried some random brands I didn't know at ThredUp and found the sizing and fit wasn't what I expected.  Since shopping online doesn't allow you to try on different sizes and fits, I think it's best to stick with what you know if you want to be really sure you'll love what you buy.

Take advantage of referral codes, deals and new customer discounts.
If you want to save $10, you can use my referral link.  And, if you end up liking ThredUp, you can use your own referral link to continue to add money to your account.  I check the website often for deals, and have scored some 50% off promotions, $50 off my order, etc.  It's worth perusing and looking for!



See what you think!  I'd love to hear your thoughts, if you try it!


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The DeYounge Life | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig